Come Autumn/ Winter I love nothing more than a bowl of piping hot soup with chunky slices of brown bread. I’ve played around with a few variations of this recipe so feel free to add garlic cloves, or omit the chili flakes. Whatever you prefer. It’s so warming and tasty, not to mention full of goodness. Perfect for lunch for this time of the year or for tea on dark winter evenings.
1.5/ 2 pounds sweet potato (peeled and diced)
1 pint vegetable stock
1 X400ml can coconut milk (full fat)
1 onion (diced)
1 stick of celery (chopped)
Half an inch of fresh ginger (peeled and chopped)
2 tbsp. olive oil
Shake of garlic salt (optional- alternatively 2 cloves of garlic would be lovely)
Parsley to garnish (optional)
Chili flakes (add half a tsp. to the soup or as much as you can handle!)
1. Sauté the onion and celery for 4 minutes. Add garlic salt and chili flakes and stir.
2. Add sweet potato, ginger, the stock and three quarters of the coconut milk.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft.
4. Blend the soup once cooked.
5. Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk, and garnish with fresh parsley and chili flakes.